Ok so here’s another short post. A nice little message just ticked up on my Facebook feed, Poser 10 is currently $100.20 (66.6% off) until the 31st of October (2013). This is coming just weeks after the wrap up of Smith Micro’s last promotion where they were moving Poser 9 for about $30. If you were lucky enough to buy then you can now upgrade to 10 for just $60.12, netting Poser 10 for a total of $90 (normally $299). For those that missed out on that promotion, or already had 9 then this is the perfect time to step up or in to P10.
If you’re a DAZ Studio user how’s been wondering about life on the other side then now is a great time to jump the fence for a good look. If you’re totally new to 3D, then now is a great time to pick up some software that will serve you well for years to come.
Here’s a little (pft yeah little!) example of how Rooster Teeth Productions (Red Vs Blue, RWBY) do with Poser.
Poser Pro 2014 and Poser 10 impending release
Poser Pro 2014
Did this take anyone else by surprise? Sure, I’m not too involved in the Poser camp, but still no emails in my inbox, and then all of a sudden – Poser Pro 2014 coming out in two week! And damn do some of these features look grand.I could regurgitate feature list in full, but honestly I don’t fully understand them as I’m quite new to things like weight maps and rigging figures and conforming props. So! I’ll just point out the ones I found interesting and leave the rest of you curious types to check out the full feature break down
The new Pro only features are few, but for content creators they will undoubtedly be a big selling point. The new Fitting Room features tools to interactively fit clothing and props to Poser figures using various neat tools including painting selections so you can quickly modify exactly what and where you want. See the ‘tube video below for a gander at the tools in operation. Also cool is the ability to copy full body and partial morphs from figure to figure.
Other than this the average punter won’t get much from 2014 Pro that won’t be available to P10 users. These new features available for both 10 and Pro are some very strong additions, and coupled with 10’s lack of 64-bit support Pro 2012 users still have some very good incentives to make the jump.
New 10/Pro features:
- Pixar’s OpenSubdiv finally brings subdivision to Poser – no more blocky props and figures in those close-up renders
- Rendering speed improvements when raytracing – nuf said
- Bullet Physics supporting both rigid and soft, and includes dynamic strand based hair. – Are we going to see a port of “Look At My Hair” to Poser? Maybe similar easy to use styling tools that could take advantage of the new dynamics – that would be very cool.
- Comic book preview mode in Open GL
- 9 new human and cartoon figures
- Magnets and deformers with weight maps + paint tools
- Interactive Raytrace Preview – these things are so handy. Editing materials and fine tuning lighting is so much easier when you can see high quality realtime updates
- OpenGL speed optimisation – also good 🙂